Saturday, September 28, 2002

Don' estomp your last season Prada shoes at me, honey

While I basically agree with this, I still plan to see Sweet Home Alabama. And I would like to say a few words about Legally Blonde, having watched it last night for the umpteenth time.

Elle Woods, how can she not be your hero? Even when people are total bitches to her, she's not a total bitch back.

Example:
Enid Wexler: Maybe, like, there's, like, a sorority you could, like, join.
Elle Woods: You know, if you came to a rush party, I would have at least been nice to you.
Enid: Is that before or after you voted against me and called me a dyke behind my back?
Elle (here it is, the second meanest thing she says in the whole movie) : I don't use that word. You must have heard it from Vivian.


The meanest thing, of course, comes when she shows up in a pink bunny suit to the costume party that isn't a costume party, thanks to her ex-boyfriend's new fiance Vivian Kensington. To Vivian: Great costume. Except when I dress up as a frigid bitch, I try not to look so constipated.

But she doesn't seize the opportunity to tear Vivian apart behind her back.

Paulette Bonafonte: Is she as pretty as you?
Elle: (thinks) She could use some mascara and some serious highlights, but she's not entirely unfortunate looking.


Best of all, there's no sweet revenge exacted on Vivian's head. She dumps Warner Huntington, III, and becomes Elle's best friend. Yay, sisterhood.

No comments: