Tuesday, October 01, 2002

Donut Memories

I don't really know what the fuss is about Krispy Kreme. Hype is weird. Was it this big when Mrs. Fields' cookies first came on to the scene? Sure, they're good, but are they really that much better than a fresh-baked (fresh-fried?) Winchell's or Dunkin' or whatever the Canadian one is? See, what hype does is convince you that you have to try one, and really how often do I think to myself I really need a donut? Okay, once, when I had mono, I needed to stop and get one on the way home from the doctor. And when I was a kid, we used to go to Winchell's with my dad after eating at Bob's Big Boy--that was before the vegetarian wave hit. And fine, if at work or school, someone brought in a box of donuts, I'd eat one (or four), but what I'm saying is that I would want one if it were Krispy Kreme, or Entenmann's, or Winchell's...but now that I think of it, aren't the Krispy Kreme ones really fresh, and warm...Damn. Now I wanna donut.

I have water in my ear. It's been hard for me to sit quietly and read because I can hear the ocean without holding a seashell up to my ear. That's what I get for taking up swimming.

No comments: