Sunday, October 27, 2002

Timing is everything

I fell asleep with the TV on and woke up around 6:45 to the strains of prophecies about Walter Mondale running in Paul Wellstone's place for Minnesota senator. But my Jesus action figure with gliding action was blocking the first part of the 6, so I wasn't sure if it was 5 or 6. After getting up to pee and eat some cookies, I established that it was in fact 6:45. Except it wasn't because I had nodded off on the blue and white striped chair last night without remembering that all the clocks needed to be changed. So I thought, all right, it's really 7:51 (by this point), that's not so bad. And then I changed the clocks on the stove and the microwave before remembering it's Spring forward, Fall back. So it was 5:53. Damn. Bet I won't be able to stay up to watch all of the Practice tonight. Wonder if it's a new one.

Soooo, can't say I've fully adapted to Pacific time. Can't say I've fully adapted to being one of those blonde Los Angeles women with their skinny legs and their perfect hair and lack of visible panty lines...but who are we kidding, I was never one of them. But odds are good they aren't even native Los Angeles women. So there.

I finally got to the Grove. Mom and I strolled out of the glass elevator of the parking structure into the throngs of people looking at the fountain in the courtyard and the first faces I look at are those of a couple a year older than me who were dating in high school. He was a wrestler, she may have been a cheerleader. It wasn't the first time my mom and I had seen them outside the auspices of the high school. In college, we were looking for an apartment for me and some landlord or other took us into their apartment in Westwood, where they strolled out of their room in bathrobes. Nice to see they're still together.

We saw White Oleander and ate at the L.A. Farm. At one point, while eavesdropping on the shrill conversation of the blondes at the table next to us, and looking around at all of the upscale, westside people around me, I said aloud, "I feel like a tourist." Sigh, you can take the Los Angeles out of the girl. I suppose it will come back. The Grove was really awesome though.

No comments: