Thursday, December 19, 2002

Don't say anything that's not worth taking a long time to say
or ... Why I should have been asked to edit LOTR: TTT

Probably best to read after you see the movie and please don't stop loving me, HRH.

Don't get me wrong. There is so much that is excellent about TTT, but that is the problem: there is so much. Peter Jackson should have asked me to take a look at his cut of the film and let me, who has not read the books, but loved the first movie, cut it down to 2 hrs and 15 min. Did we need the shot of Gandalf summoning his white horse? Why couldn't we have just cut from the forest to the four of them riding on their horses. We'd get that Gandalf had the horse somewhere. And we don't need to spend so much time getting involved with the king and his family. Banish the nephew, introduce the niece and that scary black-haired dude, and let's get on with it. I thought it really started moving when Gandalf strode through the castle and Legolas, the dwarf and Aragorn were fighting off the baddies, and they exorcised Count Dooku from the rheumy-eyed king. Did we then need to cue triumphant music and have an endless reunion? I'm not saying to cut the scene entirely, but tighten, Peter, tighten. We just met these characters, we (and by we I mean I) aren't really that emotionally attached just yet. We get to like the girl enough later on, but really, we don't need to love the king.

And okay, I liked the talking trees, I really did, but we didn't need quite so much of them. In fact, when they first introduced the tree, I was thinking, "You know, I don't really care what happens to these two hobbits, let's get back to Frodo or Aragorn." I suggest shortening the scene where they first meet the tree and leaving those hobbits after the tree takes them to Gandalf.

Then when we need to cut away from those kick-ass battle sequences, we don't need to have the tree council and all the chit chat -- although I suppose we do have to work in the line about not saying anything that isn't worth taking a long time -- we can have the tree carrying the hobbits, saying he promised Gandalf he'd keep them safe (Gandalf has already told the gang that they're alive, and if anything, the prolonged absence would make us excited to see those guys again, instead of "Oh Jeez, the trees again.") No tree council, just the hobbits needing to talk the tree into going south, working in the line about the Shire not existing anymore if there's war. Let's see all the other trees for the first time when the main tree does his mighty roar after he sees all the destruction, upon coming out of the forest.

Like I said, it was good, but unfortunately I spoiled it for myself a little by mentally editing it as I watched it. I think I'll like it more when I see it again. I only saw the first one for a second time recently, but I may actually see this one in a theatre again, if say, I'm living in Atlanta or something...

No comments: