Thursday, December 19, 2002

Never was a cornflake girl

Man, is anyone more wonderful than Tori Amos? She never disappoints. An Iranian-American protest at the Federal Building made all LA traffic hell, and KSN and I missed most of Howie Day's opening act. Which was too bad, because he was very good -- and it reminded us a little too much of being stuck on the 405 on Sept. 25, 1999, missing half of Tori's set when she "opened" for Alanis Morrisette. We were off to the side, and not so close, so I was grateful that there were monitors. I have a funny reaction to live shows, because I want to look at her not the screen. 'Cus that's just like seeing her on TV. But I couldn't take my eyes off her face. And if there weren't monitors, I woulda spent most of the show looking at the back of her head, because of the placement of her piano. She plays three, by the way, the piano, an organ and a synthesizer, like all at the same time. She's so fabulous.

I spoiled myself a little right before the show by looking up the set list from the night before, but it actually made the show that much better because last night's show included my favorite songs from every album (except Strange Little Girls -- which I guess isn't so odd that she didn't play any songs from that album and she didn't even play my favorites at that show -- and except "Silent All These Years.") I recognized all but about four songs instantly, and could tell you which album they were from and kept turning to KSN and saying, "That's my favorite from Pele, that's my favorite from Choirgirl." When I was waiting for KSN to meet me in the Rite-Aid parking lot, I listened to Choirgirl because I was pretty sure she wasn't going to play anything from that album, but she played "Black Dove" and "Jackie's Strength," the latter being the more thrilling because it's one of my faves and I would never have expected her to play it. "Hey Jupiter" was another surprise, as was "Caught a Lite Sneeze" and "Bliss."

And I have never heard "Baker Baker" sound so beautiful. She was so emotional and seemed hardly to be able to get out the line, "If you see him say Hi."

I just love her.

After, I surprised KSN with my willingness to go with her to a party at a club in Hollywood, provided she drive and take me back to my car in the Rite-Aid parking lot. I was telling her a story about a boy when we walked in and I couldn't finish because a very loud band was playing "Stairway to Heaven." While I thought this was incredibly cheesy, they were actually pretty good, and I discovered something about myself. I think it's really hot when a drummer sings.

No comments: