Saturday, March 01, 2003

We danced in graveyards with vampires till dawn

Several weeks ago, JB and I tried to rank Steven Spielberg's films. I ended up saying Catch Me If You Can was his best film, and my only defense is that it was the only one I could really remember. That's why ET is in my DVD player right now and Empire of the Sun, which I have never seen, is on its way.

MN recently referred in an email to people's lists of Top Ten Tori songs. Which got me thinking. Once again, I found myself unable to compile a list based just on the CD booklets. And to fully grasp the challenge at hand, realize that I'm talking about six albums (not counting live or cover albums), so I don't even get two songs per album. I started with her first CD and the scary thing is that it was hard to skip over songs I didn't even think of putting among my top ten. Cut to To Venus and Back, which I have not listened to nearly as much as some of the other albums, and I'm surprised by how good some of the songs on that album are.

Today's Top 10 Tori Amos songs (grouped by album)
1. Little Earthquakes
2. Mother
3. Cloud on My Tongue
4. Caught a Lite Sneeze
5. Hey Jupiter
6. Jackie's Strength
7. Bliss
8. Concertina
9. a sorta fairytale
10. Taxi Ride

I complain after every show when she doesn't perform Silent All These Years, and here I am, not even putting it in the top ten.

Other runners up include Crucify, Baker Baker, Past the Mission, Spark, 1000 Oceans, Scarlet's Walk and Gold Dust. Add my favorite covers Famous Blue Raincoat and Rattlesnakes, and I guess that's my top 20.

Maybe my neat brother could make me a compilation CD. Of course, it would be easier for me to do (if I had a CD burner), since I already have all the songs...

No comments: