Friday, January 19, 2007

No, she's happy, really













See that hint of a smile?

She and five of her friends are being relocated to a nice place where they won't disturb farmland or farmers anymore.

Unfortunately, she must have injured herself on the cage. Poor thing. Stew has done that before.

4 p.m. update: Oh dear. I'm sorry to report that she died en route. It did not occur to me at all when I first posted the picture that she might not make it.

I guess there's a 10 percent mortality rate with elk transports. That doesn't make me feel any better. Passive trapping is meant to be humane, but would it have been more quick and painless to let a farmer shoot her? And would she have survived if she'd been shot with a tranquilizer from a helicopter and transported unconscious?

No comments: