Friday, February 02, 2007

It's like undressing on the Internet

OK. Deep breath.

My parents have already read this, so I don't know why I feel so self-conscious, but I entered a First Chapters contest. The first chapter of a manuscript I completed 3 years ago is online.

Read it and vote.

It's about a girl living in a certain city in Central Europe, and it's written in first person, but I assure you, it's completely fictitious.

In the few hours it's been online, it's been lauded for being "well"-written and potentially getting "a lot of attention" in the "hot sex market."

Sadly, one commenter observed that the makings of a plot are not evident in these first 25 pages, and I have to agree that yes, it leads somewhat slowly to the heart of the story, but the novel does have a narrative arc, with a devastating climax and a theme and all that stuff that keeps you from saying, "Yeah, and?" when you read the last line. But maybe no one will ever read the second chapter, if I don't solicit votes from people who actually know me.

So, um, read it and vote. Or don't read it and give me a 10 anyway. But no funny business, because they'll disqualify me if there's any voter fraud.

And don't judge me, just my writing.

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

I want more! More I say... Nebraska? He he.

Kari said...

I told you...fictitious!