Monday, June 04, 2007

Home office

So I'm planting some marigolds when the cell phone rings. It's my boss. I'm chatting with him about all the hard work I've been doing and I decide to take the dog with me to the end of the driveway and check the mail. En route, my boyfriend beeps in and I accidentally hang up on my boss and answer my boyfriend's call.

I agree to bring a change of clothes when I pick my boyfriend up in a few minutes and I'm simultaneously getting the mail out of the box and calling my boss back.

"I have yet to successfully swap calls on this phone," I tell him, as my dog approaches a pedestrian to sniff him.

Pedestrian recoils, looks horrified and says, "I'm not a fan of dogs."

"Sorry about that," I say, and walk with mail, cell phone and dog back up the driveway.

She didn't even jump on him. I don't think. I feel bad that my dog invaded his space, and I guess he had no way to walk around us. But it's almost gratifying that someone is intimidated by my goofy dog, who ran shrieking from two great danes, a poodle and a big black dog at the lake yesterday. The black dog bit a woman a few minutes earlier, so I guess Isis was right to be afraid, but sheesh. Is there a way to train your dog to know that she is to be feared without ever doing anything fierce?

Interesting, I just looked up "fearsome," which means both "Causing or capable of causing fear" and "Fearful; timid." This would seem to be a contradiction, except that Isis is both. Question is, how can I use it if you won't know which one I mean?

No comments: