Monday, November 19, 2007

Waaargh

Is it me, or is November just not a creative month? I'm finding it next to excruciating to sit down and make up a fictional scene. If that's redundant, it's because I'm trying to cough up 50,000 words by the end of the month, and that goes against my journalistic training to use as few words as possible to convey meaning.

Here's an amusing anecdote, which is so totally going in the book. Isis broke away from me yesterday during an attempted off-leash training session in a high school parking lot. We've worked in the parking lot dozens of times, and I always clip her little light line to the collar, so I can step on it if she tries to escape.

So we're practicing "drop on recall," in which I back up, call her to me and then tell her to "down" before she gets to me. We do this a few times, with me putting her in a stay and then backing up and calling her to me.

Until she decides not to come to me, but to race around me at freeway speed and head straight for the soccer field. Sometimes on Sundays, when no one's around, I let her run wild on this field. So naturally, she thought she was allowed to do it on this particular Saturday, even though there was a soccer game in progress.

It was a Spanish-speaking league, and fortunately the players were mostly good sports, as they yelled "Perro! Perro!" at each other (at her?) while she raced between them on the field intercepting the ball and running with it.

It was mortifying. And hilarious. The futbol players couldn't even get close enough to grab her, for what seemed like an hour, but was probably about 7 minutes. The longest 7 minutes of my life.

No comments: