Friday, May 15, 2009

Aren't you going out tonight?

I felt a real kinship with Andy Dick when he moved into the Celebrity Rehab Sober House.

It dates back to when I was in college. I didn’t drink so I didn’t enjoy hitting the frat parties or using my fake ID at a bar. I did like sitting around the dorms and hanging out with my friends. But inevitably, at 10 or 11 or midnight, someone would say, “Let’s go out,” as though the evening activity didn’t start until we actually left the building.

Why did we have to go out? Why couldn’t we stay in, and continue to hang out? Drink if you want, but we’re already with the people with whom we want to spend the evening. Why isn't that enough?

In my 20s, I learned to go out, started drinking, and for a spell had an active social life. Cut to 2001, when I traveled by myself to Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia and Russia. I found myself in a common kitchen in Vilnius, I think, with fellow travelers, eating bread and cheese. (OK, I have no memory of what we ate.)

Sure enough at some point, people starting saying, “Are we going out?” I mean, yeah, I’ve been clubbing in foreign cities before, but it was the first day of my trip. I was tired, and I didn’t really know these people well enough to want to get drunk and go dancing with them.

I stayed in, went to bed in the common room, and was awoken at 6 a.m., or whenever they all returned.

So that’s why I related to Andy Dick, who found himself freshly sober, wanting to stay in, make dinner and hang out with his new friends. But most of the other freshly sober housemates wanted to go out (to a club, where they would be tempted to relapse).

Stupid addicts.

You'll have to watch the episode to be sure, but I think he stayed in and had dinner with Rodney King.

No comments: